Following the 2015 Supreme Court of Canada decision in Carter v. Canada, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) created a Medical Assistance in Dying policy to assist doctors in responding to a patient’s wish to hasten their death. The CPSO is the regulatory body for Ontario’s doctors.
Past CPSO president Dr. Carol Leet will be joining the members of the Estate Planners Council of Hamilton to engage in an open dialogue about the CPSO’s response to the federal law.
Dr. Leet’s talk will:
- Explore the legal and professional obligations set out for doctors in the federal legislation
- Review the eligibility requirements for a medically assisted death in Canada
- Provide a detailed overview of the CPSO’s policy
- Review the Process Map that sets out the steps involved in managing a request; and
- Discuss conscientious objections and effective referrals